Sunday, July 1, 2007

MXC

I've got your picture, I've got your picture
I'd like a million of you all round my cell
I want a doctor to take your picture
So I can look at you from inside as well
You've got me turning up and turning down
And turning in and turning 'round

I'm turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
I'm turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so

The Vapors - Turning Japanese


So if you've ever been up late one night, let's say you just got home from a night out drinking. Now you're still drunk and not ready for bed, so what do you do? You grab a bag of chips and switch on the TV. The problem is, there's never anything good on. Sportscenter's usually bearable, but then you inevitably get WNBA or Nascar highlights. So you're flipping through channel after channel, when suddenly something catches your eye. What the fuck is this? you ask out loud. It look like some sort of foreign game-show. You decide why the fuck not? and watch it. And it is the best decision you've ever made. My friend, you have found Most Extreme Challenge.
So what exactly is MXC? Well it's some Japanese game show given the Mystery Science Theater treatment. The participants cause themselves great bodily harm in an attempt to win (we're never sure what exactly they're playing for, I'm gonna say pride), and an incredibly ridiculous, obviously scripted dubbing over them is used to great comedic heights. The show is stupid. It seems like the brain-child of a bunch of drunken frat boys. And I'm fairly sure it's insulting to Asians on a variety of levels. But if you're in some way inebriated (and this is important; if you're sober you will be insulted on an intellectual level), it will be the best thing you will ever see. Foreign people falling in agony as they yell non-sensical exclamations? Whether you realize it or not, this is your dream show. Pain, agony, comedy, xenophobia - everything a true red-blooded American could want. So next time you're drunk as balls or baked off your ass, pick-up the remote and find Most Extreme Challenge. You will not regret it.

Note: I'm not really sure what channel it's on, I'm usually too drunk by then to read numbers. But trust me, it's impossible to mistake it for anything else on TV.

No comments: