Monday, January 22, 2007

Initial Thoughts on Texas

i feel a hot wind on my shoulder / and the touch of a world that is older
I turn the switch and check the number / I leave it on when in bed i
slumber
I hear the rhythms of the music / I buy the product and never use it
I hear the talking of the dj / can't understand--just what does he say?

i'm on a mexican radio / i'm on a mexican radio

I dial it in and tune the station / they talk about the u.s. inflation
I understand just a little / no comprende--it's a riddle

i'm on a mexican radio / i'm on a mexican radio

I wish I was in tiajuana / eating barbecued iguana
i'd take requests on the telephone / i'm on a wavelength far from home
I feel a hot wind on my shoulder / I dial it in from south of the border
I hear the talking of the dj / cant understand--just what does he say?
Wall of Voodoo - "Mexcian Radio"


Soooo I moved to Texas. Houston to be specific. Growing up on the east coast there's always been that bias against Texas (which hasn't been helped any by our oh-so-lovely current president). The prevailing thought is that they're either ignorant, racist, trigger-happy, anti-environmental or soem mix of all of the above. Well, I've been here for less than a day so far, but my first impression is that people here seem to be genial and helpful. It pains me to say this, but perhaps nicer than people in Philly. Now anyone who knows me knows that I love Philly. It has been my home for 22 plus years and I will support and defend my city to the death. Despite the fatness, the constant losing sports teams, the racist police force (well, at least in the past at any rate) and our overall Napoleon complex at always being ignored in favor of New York, Boston and DC, I still love Philly. Always will. But sometimes, you go to a restaurant or bar or some public place in Philly, and the people are just plain old rude, apathetic and just not endearing at all. I don't deal well with that shit. I've had a retail job before, and yeah, it sucks hardcore. But you know what, it's a paycheck. You suck it up, you be nice to customers and you do your fucking job. Too many times at various places in Philly I've just received terrible service, and honestly it hurts me that this is the impression people are getting of my city. Well, hopefully people in Houston tend to act decently. It still won't make up for the lack of cheesesteaks in the city... but maybe I can get used to Tex-Mex.

No comments: