Tuesday, March 4, 2008

On Brett Favre

Now, when I was just a little boy,
Standin to my daddys knee,
My poppa said, son, dont let the man get you
Do what he done to me.
cause hell get you,
cause hell get you now, now.

And I can remember the fourth of july,
Runnin through the backwood, bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin,
Chasin down a hoodoo there.
Chasin down a hoodoo there.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Born on the Bayou

With Brett Favre's impending retirement, we will undoubtedly be inundated with tributes to him over the upcoming days and weeks. Now as a football and sports fan, I couldn't help but admire the guy. He played with his heart, always gave his all, and played with a child-like enthusiasm that was definitely endearing to watch. I have absolutely nothing against him. But, in all honesty, I'm not sad to see him go.
I don't want to come off as cold or dark-hearted, but it was time for Favre to leave. His skills have diminished to the point that he's no longer a top 5 quarterback in the league and is hardly a top 10. Some may point to his stats last year that he is still capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl, but I have to think much of that success was due to his very capable receiving corps that included Greg Jennings and Donald Driver. Favre still made those bone-headed plays and threw the ball up-for-grabs as he has been doing the last few years, but he got bailed out time and time again by his outstanding receivers. Would you seriously hand Favre the ball with your team's season on the line? I sure as hell wouldn't.
The worst part about Favre retiring is going to have to listen to Chris Berman and every other sportscaster kiss his royal ass for the next few weeks. Seriously Chris, suck his dick already and get it over with. It's ridiculous. I admired the guy, but he was by no means one of my favorite players. If I had to pick my favorite non-Eagles players I'm going with Elway, Barry Sanders, Tomlinson and, more recently, Adrian Peterson. I never cared that much for Favre... so stop shoving him down my fucking throat! Give me Montana or Marino over Favre any day of the week.
The best part about Favre retiring is gonna be seeing those damned Packers fans cry. I hope you all weep large, salty tears and your stupid cheese-heads melt into your hideous sausage fattened faces. Packers fans being upset always seems to equal me being happy. 'Oh no! Our savior is gone! What will we do without the second coming of Jesus??!' You can go get fatter and freeze in one of Wisconsin's many forests for all I care. He's gone. Get over with. So begins the Aaron Rodgers era. You played hard and with passion Favre, and that's all a fan can ask for. Farewell. Now please don't come back. If I have to hear those fucking Packer fans cackle with joy upon them learning of your un-retirement, I will personally break your knee caps. So go, enjoy your retirement. And let me revel in the pain of all those Packers fans. Yeah, I know, I'm pretty much like a grinch in green and white. Well, I'm perfectly comfortable in that role... so keep on crying you jackass cheeseheads, and know that, in my book, Elway will always be Favre's better. Suck on that!

No comments: