Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Superbad is superawesome

Well I don't care about history
Rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school
'Cause that's not where I wanna be
Rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school
I just wanna have some kicks
I just wanna get some chicks
Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school

Well the girls out there knock me out, you know
Rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school
Cruisin' around in my GTO
Rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school
I hate the teachers and the principal
Don't wanna be taught to be no fool
Rock, rock, rock, rock, rock'n'roll high school

The Ramones - Rock N' Roll High School

So I meant to write about Superbad after I saw it opening day, but one thing led to another, I got distracted, got busy, whatever. The time, though, has come for me to have my say.
If you haven't seen this movie, you SUCK. Seriously. One of the best fucking movies ever. The best comedy I have EVER seen in a theater (even beating Borat, which I absolutely loved). I had high expectations for the movie based on Apatow and Rogen's involvement with it, and these were not only met, but completely blown out of the water. I even saw Superbad twice in theaters. To put that in perspective, the only other movie I've seen twice in theaters was Gladiator.
Now what makes Superbad better than all the other coming-of-age teen high-school romps? What makes it better than American Pie, Better Off Dead, and The Breakfast Club? Well the beauty of Superbad lies in its realism. One of the most true-to-life scripts you'll ever hear. That's fucking how people talk! That is how guys talk! They didn't try to make the movie some sort of existential period piece. This is not a David Lynch piece. They went for realism (um minus the cops). If I'm out with my friends, that's how we would interact. The awkward situations were done brilliantly. I could see either me or someone I know getting into situations from the movie. But what really added to the realism of the movie were the drunk scenes. Being a fan of alcohol, I know how I act when I'm drunk. I feel like I know how other people act. And Martha MacIsaac's portrayal of a drunken Becca was one of the most realistic cinematic scenes I have ever seen. I can see every girl I know being drunk enough to act like that. That's how drunks girls behave!! Superbad is brilliant because of it's simplicity and it's honesty. It doesn't try to be moralistic or deliver some sort of conceited message about life. It's about kids in high school that are on their way to college and are looking to get laid; exactly what every kid entering college is looking to do. Seth and Evan are young, they don't get women, and they're horny as fuck. Hmm maybe there is a message in there after all.
Just go see Superbad. An amazingly fun movie. You'll leave smiling and wanting a beer (albeit a bit nostalgic for high school and college). And I can't even get into McLovin. One of the top five characters of all time (up there with Tony Montana, the Terminator and James Bond). He stole pretty much every scene he was in, and the sex scene at the end that leads to the donut scene is just classic. What a great movie. And lastly, dibs on Becca.

No comments: