Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The power of words

So I'm driving home from working today, flipping through radio stations, when "Fergielicious" comes on. Now this is easily one of the worst songs ever written, but it's like a train wreck. I just can't change the station, I have to keep listening. What really irks me about the song, though, is that Fergie spells tasty T-A-S-T-E-Y. Okay, I get that they needed to do this to make the song work, but bad grammar and poor spelling just piss me off. One of my biggest pet peeves is people mixing up 'your' and 'you're'. It's not that difficult! Try proof-reading for once. Words can be a powerful force upon themselves depending on how you use them. The right word in a sentence can completely change the tone and impact of a piece of writing. That being said, here are words/phrases I like and dislike:

DISLIKE

Crunk - I don't get this word. It's a mix of drunk and something, but, um, what the hell's the other word? And what's wrong with trashed or shit-faced? What a stupid word.

Guesstimate - look, you guess or you estimate. There is no fucking reason for these two words to be put together

Titty Bar - strip club sounds much more sophisticated (and makes me feel like less of a pervert)

Urine - just an ugly word. I prefer piss

Gesticulate - sounds too much like testicle

Rubber - when it is used as an euphemism for condom. Just bothers me for some reason

Tinkle - are you five?

Potty - ditto

Buttocks - I think only moms can say this word without it sounding really awkward


LIKE

Nemesis - a frickin cool sounding word that also inevitably brings back memories of the awesome nemesis enforcer

Extrapolate - it just rolls off the tongue

Pretentious - you sound all important when you say it (kind of ironic when you think of it)

Cougar - just a vivid word

Boob - they're awesome and boob spelled backwards is boob

Sardonic - kinda sounds like sardine

Uber - like mega, but German

Romp - has several meanings

Callous - it can mean evil as well as something that solidifies over a cut. Sweet deal

Jiggle - creates some fantastic images

No comments: