Tuesday, June 26, 2007

On the Benoit situation

I'm distraught by this whole mess, I can't lie about that. This is tragic beyond means I can truly express. I grew up a wrestling fanatic. My dad loved it, my friends loved, it was an integral part of my childhood. And while Benoit was never one of my favorites, he was an ever-present constant. Though I may not have been the biggest fan, you had to respect the man. He was truly a diplomat for the sport/entertainment (whatever you want to call it, many of them truly are amazing athletes) both in and out of the ring. Now I really stopped watching professional wrestling sometime in high school. I just outgrew it. But my interest was peaked a week ago when they discussed Vince McMahon's "death" on PTI. So as I was flipping through channels last night I ended up on USA. Rather than finding RAW, though, I found their three-hour tribute to Chris Benoit. I was shocked. I was fucking teary-eyed. A part of my childhood died with the man. If you're not a wrestling fan it's hard to explain (Bill Simmons, though, did a good job on his ESPN chat today). Then came the news this morning, and it was really just unfathomable. How could something like this happen? What could have snapped in this man's head? Just a fucked-up situation. And just tragic, not just for pro wrestling in general, but for the families for those involved.
As far as pro wrestling goes, this hurts the industry tremendously. Though dozens of wrestlers have died prematurely, none have been as prominent as Benoit and none have still been fighting at such a high level on such a grand stage. The physical and mental toll on wrestlers has got to be ridiculous. That's all I have to say about that. What a sad, sad day.

No comments: