Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Portland and the Great Northwest

Green Douglas firs where the waters cut through,
Down her wild mountains and canyons she flew.
Canadian Northwest to the ocean so blue,
It’s roll on, Columbia, roll on.
Roll on, Columbia, roll on. Roll on, Columbia, roll on
Your power is turning our darkness to dawn,
So roll on, Columbia, roll on

Woody Guthrie - Roll on Columbia


So I've been in the Portland area for a little over two weeks now. And seriously, how did no one ever fucking tell me about up here?? This place is sweet. I love it here. I know what you're thinking, "motherfuckin Portland??" Yeah man, mother-fuckin Portland.
Now obviously, the Northwest is NOT for everyone. It's hippie central. You know all those long-haired, outcast, stoner kids from high school that liked artsy movies and classic rock? Well, they all moved to Portland. Preppy has no place here. The sweatshirt is the normal going out attire. Now the rain and dreariness may take some getting used to, but it's not like that all the time. The Northwest has probably been unfairly labeled in that regard. And when it is sunny, it's absolutely gorgeous. Besides, without the rain the area wouldn't have all the green.
Driving out of the airport, the green-ness was the first thing that struck me. Pines as far as the eye could see. And as I passed by the numerous lakes and rivers, and saw the silhouette's of Mt. Hood and Mt. Saint Helens on the horizon, the natural beauty of the place astounded me. As much as I love Philly, you just do not get this on on the east coast. The true beauty of Portland didn't hit me until I went for a hike up Hamilton Mountain last weekend. Hiking up the mountain, I got a glorious glimpse of the Columbia River and its valley. I couldn't help but utter 'holy shit' under my breath as I saw beacon rock in the distance, looking like nothing more than a pebble. The views just made me realize the vastness and splendor that is nature. Though I felt like an ant standing a top the mountain, it was also strangely invigorating. It made me feel alive. It's hard to explain. Go climb a mountain and you'll understand. And seeing the Lewis and Clark markers about every 50 feet as I drove down the highway, I had to wonder if those two explorers didn't mutter 'holy shit' under their own breaths as they tried to absorb the unspoiled grandeur that Portland must have been back then.
What surprised me the most was that I was not alone on the mountain. And as I passed people on my ascent, people would routinely say "hi" and smile. Wait... people happy to be outdoors? And they were being nice to random strangers?? Where the hell was I??!! The outdoor lifestyle of the area is infectious. Seeing everyone else outside makes you want to go out too. Going out the next day, when it was drizzling, I figured I'd be alone in the shadow of Mt. Hood. But damn was I surprised when the trails and parking lots were still packed. I'm sure many of the people were tourists, but still, that is the pull of Portland; you just have to go outside here. Not doing so would be a total waste.
Aside from the outdoors and nature, they love their alcohol up here. Tons of micro-breweries and wineries. This is my heaven. Where else can you go to a movie theater, get a ticket for only 3 bucks, and have a pint while you watch your piece of nouveau-cinema? And after the movie you can walk a block and have some Vietnamese food (they have a TON of Asian restaurants here for some reason). Just amazing. I'm sure I sound like a travel guide by now, but this place is the hidden treasure of America. California gets all the hype, but go a little north and you'll find a hidden paradise. A place for the outdoor, beer-loving soul in us all. Where going on a hike, then grabbing a beer at the bar is a normal Saturday. I have never said this about any place outside of Philly (not even Houston, where I live now), but I could actually see myself living in the Portland area. Trees, trails, micro-brews, and nice, environmentally conscious citizens. Good times. Truly a hidden gem in the United States.

No comments: