Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Asshole of America

Born On The Bayou.
Wish I was back on the Bayou.
Rollin' with some Cajun Queen.
Wishin' I were a fast freight train,
Just a chooglin' on down to New Orleans.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Born on the Bayou"



Louisiana is a shit-hole. Like honestly, what a crap-fest. Pretty much Jersey placed in a swamp. And I thought Texas accents were bad... I can't even understand some of the people here! The state is just running wild with rednecks. All the redneck stereotypes you see on TV... yup, they're all true. They drive pick-ups, talk with awful grammar, and are genuinely ignorant of the world. But you know what, you kinda got to take it all in stride. From the bar that used to be an old gas station, to our hotel clerk that keeps a baby flying squirrel in her bra, when I take a step back I can't help but laugh. Their ignorance gives them a good-natured view on the world where everyone is constantly saying "hello" and asking "how was your day?" to each other Think you'll find that kind of care-free attitude in New York or Philly? Hell no! The weight of the world has, for all intensive purposes, made us bitter and condescending. I come to Louisiana and see it was a shit-hole instead of for what it has to offer me. Nice people, amazing food (gumbo, po boys, crawfish, etc.), drive-thru drink places. How can you beat that? And yeah, the forest may be littered with heaps of garbage (seriously, why would you drive out to a forest to throw out your fridge instead of jsut ptting it on the curb like a normal person?), but it's still a gorgeous piece of Earth. And yeah, many look at the locals here and consider them ignorant cause they'd rather ATVing in a full camouflage uniform thn read a book, but to each is own. Judge not lest thee be judged thyself. Sure I can quote Shakespeare, but you ask me to fix a car and I have nothing. Will I continue to laugh at the perceived craziness of this state and mock it's residents? Fuck yeah, that's what I do. But the next time I try and drive trough a mud-hole and get stuck, or take forever trying to eat some "crawfish," I'm pretty sure I'll be the one being laughed at.

No comments: